Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diet Dr. Pepper, Sexist?
http://theweek.com/article/index/220181/dr-peppers-not-for-women-ad-campaign-sexist

I'm sure many people have seen the Ad for Diet Dr. Pepper and their new tag line "Not for Women". I was surprised to see this commercial because it flat out makes a sexist comment towards its female viewers. Although the new diet drink is suppose to appeal to men, I'm sure many viewers were unsettled about the commercial.
It surprised me because although I found myself talking about the product because of the tag-line, but also because women are the ones who tend to do the grocery shopping, and they also hold majority of the financial decisions in a household. I felt this hurt their standings with female consumers because it gives them the impression this drink is manly and not meant for them. It also adds the stereotype of being strong and masculine by making it seem acceptable to drink this diet drink.

Do you think was a smart move by Dr. Pepper, do you think it was intentional?

No comments:

Post a Comment